Monday, September 26, 2011

The Dreaded Final Weaning Step

501 days

The end is finally here.
Saturday it was decided to be the end of nursing.  While I could tell that things were winding down, I expected some resistance to going to bed without nursing.  What I didn't expect was for Emmett to say "nigh nigh" and roll over in his bed and go to sleep.  That was it.... 

That was it!?!  After all the pain and tears, the sleepless nights, the hours of being hooked up to that evil machine - pumping, the months of spending every lunch at daycare, the horrible bras, the sticky lanolin and breast pads, feeling so burnt out and tired, the teeth .. Urgh the terrible milk blister that lasted for 5 months!  It was so, SO difficult.   So this end feels.... odd.....  but nice?  

I suppose that means it was the right time.  

A battle would have made me feel guilty and sad.  This might be a little anticlimactic, but I am left feeling.. I don't know.... successful.

.. and maybe a little sad that my tiny, baby bear cub doesn't need me the same way anymore.

I can't believe I actually saw this to it's natural end.

2 comments:

  1. I was fully expecting the final night to be an epic showdown of biblical proportions. Turned out.. not so much! I could tell Jen was a little let down of how easy he moved on, but we both appreciated the full night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Let down" is the wrong word, I'm glad it wasn't a battle... Maybe "thrown off"

    ReplyDelete