Monday, August 29, 2011

MN trip highlights PART 1

(Brian) - Of course, the night before we left, we started feeling sick. Not sure if it was a head cold, or symptoms from catching Em's hoof and mouth disease, but we were pretty miserable on the Friday flight.

(Jen) - I jinxed myself by making a joke that I would wake up at midnight and not be able to sleep the rest of the night... I of course woke up at 12:30 and didn't get back to sleep.  This flight was going to SUCK.

Emmett did fairly well on the plane. He got fussy once in a while and wanted to get down and walk, but the distractions of the wrapped toys, the laptop loaded with Elmo, and the 2 teenage girls behind us helped him get through. (I think Jen's reactions to his occasional crying stressed me out more than him, hahaha)

In my defense I will say that I was the one who was wrestling the little bear cub for most of the flight.  I felt like crap, hadn't slept, the flight was full and crowed, then I had to expose myself in public to nurse Em (uncomfortable for me .. as well as the stress that knowing some people have a very big problem with breastfeeding in public) Then always having to watch that Emmett didn't kick the seat in front (which was way closer than I expected) or chuck something at someone's head.  Once he fell asleep I had to sit in a very uncomfortable position  so I wouldn't wake him up.  Also keep his feet in the seat so the carts wouldn't bump him.   Most of the time the look on my face was a desperate look for help that (at the time) I didn't feel like I was getting a lot of... 

In MN we drive a fancy mini van!  Emmett also found sitting forward to be awesome.  He was so good in the car (for short trips)

Emmett loves hotel rooms! He went crazy for every new place we stayed. It was a scramble to secure all cupboards, lamps, cords, phones, etc.

I love hotel rooms with a kitchen and a separate bedroom!  We will always try to do this while Em is little.   I was worried he wouldn't like the hotel pack and play.. but as soon as he saw it he was so excited to go "nigh nigh".. which was more of a game of sitting inside playing pee-a-boo.  Wish we could have spent some time in the awesome pool!  I guess we know for next time, when Emmett will be a bit older.

The party was a hit. We found the park and waited for Reva.. and waited and waited. I finally decided I had to pee, so I walked to the bathroom. Of COURSE, as I started back, Andy pulled up and they started to walk to the pavilion. I did my best sneaky lurk behind them until they made it to the tables and everyone yelled surprise, which Reva didn't understand for a moment or two.

It was fun to see and say hello to a lot of family I haven't seen in a long time.  Of course there is never enough time to really talk to anyone.  I really miss the days of spending a good chunk of time with some of them.  As much as I dread some of the family fun.. I really do miss a lot of those people.  A lot of my favorite childhood memories involve a lot of them, and it makes me more aware of how far away we are.  I'm sad that Emmett wont have the same sort of relationships with his Grandparents, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles that I did.

Emmet LOVED Nancy Lee. Simon... not so much. There was a lot of competition between those 2 meatheads for attention and toys.

Bald eagle flying over my parents house!

We drove around Minneapolis to see all the old spots. Everything seemed so different, but we were still nostalgic.

This trip to Mpls was weird.  I felt like a tourist.  Things have changed so much it was a strange mix of the familiar and a whole new city.  The first time I didn't always know where i was.  This time it didn't feel like "home" and I found myself a little jealous of some of the great new things.  It is easy to imagine what life would be like there.

We drank way too much Dunn Brothers.

We drank the perfect amount.

Getting together with Kelly, Mike, Andre, Kim and the kids, the Kafkases, was amazing. We miss them so much. Emmett was insane and did his best to entertain everyone. Again, it was tough for him to share toys with Clara, but he still had fun. He cried and cried when we finally had to leave.

The visit with the gang was great.  The first time I have actually been comfortable while at someone's house with Emmett.  We took turns walking him around, watched that he played nice and didn't get too bullied.  But he had fun with the kids.. and the adults.  Everyone understood and it was just.. easy.  Like it has always been easy with them.  Just hanging out.  I so so miss that.

The drive to Duluth was ok. Jen's dad needed a lot of wrangling. The house was decent, and had an amazingly neat little path through the yard to the beach.. which was a huge trap set by the mosquitoes to drain the blood of dumb tourists.

The first day of the family trip was rough.  I just about lost it with all of my Dad's "I'm not going to go... you don't want me to go... OK, I'm going to go... I'm not going".  I could tell my Mom was really stressed out.  I wasn't sure if springing this on her was a good idea.  Andy was good about just taking care of things with my Dad.  Big bottle of bourbon... Andy will just remove it.  Emmett wasn't so happy to be riding in the car.  I kept him busy with snacks and Elmo videos.  The plane was a good lesson on how to just always keep him busy.  Apparently if you want to keep my Dad happy on a car trip, just stop at every rest stop and Mc Donalds for a burger.  The house was fine.. not totally what I expected.  I had hoped we had better water access.  The outside areas were not as hang out friendly as I had hoped.  Emmett could not be trusted on the deck and the back yard was mosquito CRAZY.  My ideal location would have been more up on the shore by split rock.  Quiet little cabins on the lake, (I had a fantasy about every one having their own cabin) but this might have been better for the little ones. (and the old one)  TV's were a good distraction (when someone could actually get them to work)

The giant marshmallows! The weird little fat man in the grocery store with the sausages!

Train museum.  Dad was much better on day 2.  The morning was rough.  I was up (again... like every night) for most of the night.  Emmett needed a lot of comforting.  He did OK in his tent bed, but he'd roll around so much and get caught up in the sides.  I had a mini meltdown in the morning because I was just so tired.  Once I showered and ate.. I felt much better.  Earthquake hits the East coast! Getting out of the house was good.  Too bad it was a rainy day, but it wasn't terrible.  We still got out for a walk.

Skip to the end... hook for a hand!

Nancy loved Emmett. He loved her back. Simon wanted to punch Emmett. Emmett wanted to bite Simon.

Watching that Simon didn't just take everything away from Emmett (or slug him or knock him down) was tough.  It added to all the things we needed to keep an eye on.  Hopefully when they get older they will get along.  I know he is only 2.5, but I was a little shocked that Simon really had NO interest in playing with Emmett.  Emmett finally had it and chopped down on Simon.  I don't really blame him, Simon was just making life as difficult as possible for him.  But, I still didn't want him to hurt Simon.   

Rick farts a lot.

... and you wonder why I don't think farts are funny

Did I mention Em loves hotel rooms?


No comments:

Post a Comment